- 1 pound medium shrimp(jhinga), shelled, deveined and with tails removed
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal(mkai ata)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning(msala)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded(salad leaf)
- 2 to 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 small French sandwich rolls
- 1/4 cup mustard(rai), preferably Creole mustard
- 1 1/4 cups mayo
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish(vegitable sohanjna)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp hot sauce (Crystal, Tabasco, etc)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced and smashed
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 to 2 tsp Cajun seasoning(msala)
- Make the remoulade sauce: If you are making your own remoulade, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside for 30 minutes or so; you don’t have to wait that long, but the sauce will be better over time.
- Heat oil in pan: Pour enough peanut oil in a large frying pan to come up about 1/4 inch, and set the pan over medium-high heat until a small amount of flour sizzles immediately when you drop some in.
- Dredge shrimp: Mix the cornmeal, flour, Cajun seasoning and salt in a large bowl. Working with a few at a time, dredge the shrimp in the egg, then in the cornmeal-flour mixture.
- Fry shrimp: Shake off any excess breading and fry the shrimp until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes total. Set the fried shrimp aside on paper towels to drain.
- Assemble sandwiches: To assemble the sandwiches, slice the sandwich loaves almost all the way through and smear remoulade on both the top and bottom. Lay down a layer of shredded lettuce on the bottom of the sandwich, then arrange the shrimp on top.
- Lay 3-4 slices of tomato on the shrimp and press the top of the bread down on the bottom, compressing the sandwich a little.
- Serve at once with hot sauce .