This warm and hearty salad with sweet potato noodles, cabbage, and lentils is ideal for the fall and winter months. Thanks to sautéed onions and Swiss chard, as well as a Dijon vinaigrette, it’s colorful, nutrient-dense, and flavor-packed. Fresh herbs and toasted pine nuts round off the dish. Sweet potato noodles salad is healthy for a better life.
Lentils are high in protein, making this salad a complete meal in and of itself. But it would go great with my Carne Asada, Dijon Baked Salmon, or Sweet and Smoky Beef Brisket if served as a side salad.
SPIRALIZED SWEET POTATO NOODLES
I love my spiralizer and all of the different ways you can use spiralized vegetables. Spiralized sweet potato noodles have already been transformed into Curly Sweet Potato Fries and Spiralized Sweet Potato Egg Nests. But today we’re preparing a sweet potato noodles salad that’s both vegan and vegetarian!
Sweet potatoes can be spiralized on a thin blade and used in both cold and warm salads, as shown below. Many people overlook the fact that sweet potatoes can be eaten raw.
- 1/2 cup green lentils(green dal)
- 1 bay leaf (taijh pat)
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece kombu seaweed(Sumandari ghas), approx 4 inches long
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato(shakrqandi), spiralized
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 leaves Swiss chard( A beet of a variety with broad white leaf stalks that may be prepared and eaten separately from the green parts of the leaf), sliced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts(Chilgoza), toasted
- 1 bunch parsley (herb)or cilantro(dhnia)
- 2 cups sliced red cabbage(bnd ghobi)
- 1 recipe Dijon Vinaigrette
- Add the lentils(dal) to a fine mesh sieve. Examine and remove any bad ones and rinse under the faucet.
- Place the lentils in a small pot along with the water, bay leaf(taijh pat) and kombu(sumundari ghass). The water should cover the lentils by about 2 inches. Bring the lentils to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. The water should be a very gentle simmer with very few bubbles.
- After the lentils have cooked for about 5 minutes, add the olive oil and onion to a very large pan and heat on medium. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. You can sauté them until they’ve fully caramelized as well.
- Add the sliced Swiss chard(chuqander type) to the pan and sauté for a minute. Then add the spiralized sweet potato and sauté for 3 minutes, using tongs to turn them. Lastly, add the sliced red cabbage to the pan and cook for one more minute, while tossing and stirring. Then transfer the salad to a large serving bowl.
- At this point, the lentils should be nearly done. Drain and rinse them and add to the salad.
- Top the salad with the toasted pine nuts, fresh herbs and Dijon vinaigrette. Toss everything together and serve warm.