What Is Soy Milk?
Soy milk is a plant-based nondairy beverage that has become a popular alternative to cow’s milk. It is made from soybeans. Many brands fortify their soy milk with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D and calcium. Soy milk offers culinary diversity, creamy texture, and a healthful nutritional profile, which includes essential omega-3 fatty acids and flavonoids that possess antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cardioprotective properties as well. Let’s know the benefits of soy milk in detail.
Top 7 Health Benefits Of Soy Milk
- Soy milk is high in fiber which shows considerable effect on the BMI and good cholesterol levels. Soy milk also helps with obesity and high blood pressure. A low-fat diet and some soy proteins with soy milk help get rid of obesity without affecting muscle mass.
- Soy improves your good cholesterol levels and prevents heart diseases. Soy milk helps in improving plasma lipid levels and reducing the risk of heart diseases later in life. Soy milk is rich in vitamins, minerals, and polyunsaturated fats which together help promote better heart health.
- Soy-rich diet is best if you are dealing with an acne breakdown. Consuming soy milk is good for reducing hyperpigmentation (a condition of darkening of the skin). In addition, soy also has anti-aging properties.
- Soy milk, if combined with a protein-rich diet proves to have a good impact on your hair. It stimulates better hair growth and improves its appearance. Soy milk is also beneficial for frizzy and unmanageable hair.
- Soy milk is rich in calcium and hence is beneficial for your bones. Calcium content in soy milk promotes better bone health by keeping them stronger and maintaining their structure intact, hence reducing the risk of fractures.
- While working out your body loses some fats and burns some calories and hence recovery becomes a must after this. Soy milk is the perfect beverage for a vegan or lactose intolerant to ensure better recovery after workouts. Riboflavin in soy milk helps recover all your lost energy post-workouts.
- Soy milk helps boost your mood. It contains vitamin B6 and vitamin B complex which are beneficial in improving your mood. Soy milk is also high in magnesium that releases serotonin in your body which works as an antidepressant for the mind.
Ways To Include Soy Milk In Your Diet
Around the nation, soy milk is available in restaurants, health food stores, and grocery stores. Soy milk can also be prepared at home.
Overnight, soak ten ounces of soybeans in water. After that, cook these beans for 10 minutes in twelve cups of water. Add the soybeans and water and blend until smooth. Simmer for an additional forty minutes. You are welcome to taste and add a pinch of sugar or salt. After the soybeans are done cooking, strain the mixture through cheesecloth to get rid of any solids. Soymilk is kept for up to a week in storage, much like dairy milk.
You can incorporate soy milk into your diet in the following ways:
- Add soy milk to a smoothie
- Use soy milk in your coffee
- Eat cereal with soy milk
- Use soy milk in baked goods
- Make a bechamel sauce with soy milk
- Use soy milk in curry
The majority of soy milk sold at health food stores and supermarkets has been fortified with extra nutrients. This makes calcium, the most prevalent mineral in your body, abundant in fortified soy milk. Getting adequate calcium in your diet can help prevent osteoporosis and strengthen your bones.
Soy milk is also an excellent source of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
Is soy milk bad for men?
Soy foods, including soy milk, are not bad for men. Rather, some studies suggest consuming soy isoflavones (plant chemicals that are part of a class called phytoestrogens) is associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
How is soy milk made?
To make soy milk, soybeans are soaked in water, blended with water, and then strained. Certain brands add vitamins and minerals, like calcium, to fortify the beverage. It is a vegan food. If you DIY soy milk at home, your soy milk won’t contain calcium. However, most packaged products are fortified with calcium.
Does soy milk have lactose, calcium, and gluten?
While cow’s milk traditionally has lactose, soy milk does not, meaning you can enjoy soy milk if you are lactose intolerant. Soy milk is also gluten-free, so it’s safe for people with celiac disease. Most brands add calcium to their soy milk products but check product labels to be sure.
Does soy milk have estrogen?
No. Soy is rich in plant chemicals called isoflavones, including phytoestrogens that weakly mimic human estrogen. However, this does not mean that soy contains estrogen.
Is soy milk good for you?
Yes! Soy milk is considered a whole soy food, and it has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and potentially heart-protective properties, says Hever. Research also suggests that soy foods may play a role in preventing cancer, and reducing the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease and osteoporosis.