- 1 fresh beef brisket (6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 bay leaves(teijh pat), crushed
- 3 tsp pepper(black pepper)
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tsp dried thyme(jungli podina or herb)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cloves(loang)
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth(yakhni)
- Optional: Rye bread, Swiss cheese slices and Dijon mustard
- Place beef in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; rub with brown sugar. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, chopped onion, bay leaves (taijh pat)and seasonings(msala); rub over beef. Refrigerate, covered, 3 days, turning and rubbing salt mixture into beef once each day.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove and discard salt mixture. Place beef, onions, carrots, celery and stout in a roasting pan. Add water to come halfway up the brisket. Roast, covered, 4-4-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Cool meat in cooking juices for 1 hour.
- Remove beef; discard vegetables and cooking juices. Transfer beef to a 13×9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with rye bread, cheese and mustard.