- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 to 5pound chuck roast
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions, peeled and halved
- 6 to 8 whole carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups beef broth(ykhani)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary(herb)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme(jungli podina)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Throw the carrots into the same very hot pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
- With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3 pound roast. For a 4 to 5 pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it’s fall-apart tender.