- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening( Butter or other fat used for making pastry or bread )
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour(meda)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract(arq)
- 1 tsp lemon extract(arq or juice), optional
- 4 cups ground or finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- GLAZE (optional):
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar(suger powder)
- 2 to 3 tbsp milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 30×20-in. rectangle. In a bowl , combine the butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon extract if desired and nuts. Stir in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet shape into a tight spiral. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. If desired, combine confectioners(refined sugar)’ sugar and enough milk to make a thin glaze; brush over roll.