This version of chicken fra diavolo, which is typically served with seafood, consists of chicken thighs cooked in a spicy Italian tomato and pepper sauce enhanced with white wine and fresh herbs. Since we enjoy spicy food, I thought, “Why not chicken?” To savor every last bit of the sauce, we preferred it served on crusty bread.
1 hr 5 mins
1 hr 20 mins
- 1.5 lbs (about 680g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust according to your spice preference)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120ml) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dry red wine (optional)
- 1 pound (about 450g) linguine or your preferred pasta
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Step.1 Season and Cook the Chicken:
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Step.2 Saute Onions and Garlic:
- In the same skillet, add chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes, sautéing for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Step.3 Make the Sauce:
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, stirring to combine.
- Add dried oregano, dried basil, and red wine (if using). Bring the sauce to a simmer.
Step.4 Simmer the Chicken:
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet, ensuring it’s coated in the sauce.
- Allow the mixture to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors meld.
Step.5 Cook the Pasta:
- While the chicken is simmering, cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
Step.6 Combine and Serve:
- Toss the cooked pasta with the Chicken Fra Diavolo sauce.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve hot, with grated Parmesan cheese on the side.
This Chicken Fra Diavolo is a spicy and flavorful dish that pairs well with a glass of red wine. Adjust the level of red pepper flakes to suit your spice preference. Enjoy your delicious and fiery meal!