Coconut flavors may be found in practically every Thai or South Asian dish. It’s unusual to come across an entree that doesn’t call for coconut milk or cream in some form. Almost every Thai dish is accompanied by a bowl of Jasmine rice with long grains. However, there are situations when ordinary Jasmine rice is insufficient. Once you’ve tried easy coconut rice, you’ll realize how quickly it becomes your preferred alternative.
Wait till you smell that delicious, aromatic coconut perfume emerging from your pot of rice if you aren’t already enthused about this dish! You’ll want to take a tablespoon of this stuff and eat it right away, raw and uncooked. I’ve been there, so believe me when I say this.
WHAT IS IN COCONUT RICE?
One of the best aspects of this recipe is how simple and straightforward it is to prepare. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and only requires four pantry staple ingredients, all of which you most likely already have on hand:
- jasmine rice
- coconut milk
The most bizarre thing is that I’ve never been a lover of strong, straight coconut flavor, such as that found in coconut water or shredded coconut. I know, it’s insane, right? But I’m really smitten with coconut when it’s used in a recipe as coconut milk, cream, or oil. It’s a unique experience. I’m not sure why, and I can’t put my finger on it, but it just delivers the proper amount of mild flavor and beautiful creaminess that makes me want more!
WHAT TO PAIR COCONUT RICE WITH
The best accompaniment to a Thai curry is easy coconut rice. It goes well with Thai yellow curry with yams and sweet potatoes and Thai red curry with prawns.
But don’t be fooled by the fact that this rice goes well with a Thai dish! You don’t have to limit yourself to cooking coconut rice just to go with Thai food. This side dish goes well with any Asian dish… or any type of cuisine for that matter. It’s delicious when served with:
- Tiger prawns in garlic ginger soy sauce
- Pumpkin chickpea coconut curry
- Thai coconut red curry with prawns
- 20-minute one pot lentils
- Indian butter chicken
INGREDIENTS COCONUT RICE:
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar(dane dar suger), or to taste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 + ½ cups of water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro(dhnia), chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a medium sized pot, rinse the jasmine rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain any excess water and add the coconut milk, water, salt and sugar.
- On high heat, allow the mixture to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.
- Serve with thai coconut red curry with prawns or as your choice.