What your weeknight dinners have been lacking in this quick and easy rice pilaf with carrots. With sautéed carrots, onion, garlic, and herbs, then simmered in flavorful stock, plain long-grain rice is enhanced with so much flavor. Preparing this fresh and fluffy pilaf only takes 10 minutes, and you can make it even faster in your rice cooker or instant pot.
WHAT IS A RICE PILAF?
A pilaf is a rice meal made with vegetables, spices, herbs, and sometimes meat that is cooked in a stock. It is prevalent in various cuisines around the world, although it is said to have originated in ancient Persia, according to one of Alexander the Great’s legends. Growing up, this was one of my favorite dishes.
To create rice pilaf, you’ll need the following ingredients:
olive oil, onion, carrot, garlic, long grain Basmati rice.
You can also use chicken stock instead of fresh dill vegetable stock.
It’s optional to use Italian spice, but it adds a lot of flavors.
Salt, potatoes – putting potatoes on top absorbs all of the rice’s and stock’s excellent flavors. This is entirely optional, however, it is strongly suggested.
parsley – sprinkled on top as a garnish and to add flavor.
- 2 cups long grain Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion,chopped
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup fresh dill(soya), chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning(msala jat) optional
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 medium size potatoes,peeled and halfved(optional)
- 1 tbsp parsley(herb),chopped (for garnish)
- Place the rice in a large bowl and rinse 3 to 4 times with cold running water to wash off extra starch from the rice. You can also pre-soak rice in water for 30 minutes. This helps the cook rice faster and yields a better texture.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or cooking pot over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add onion, carrot, garlic and dill(soya). Sauté for 3 minutes until you start to smell the aroma from the herbs.
- Drain the rice in a strainer and add it in the Dutch oven or pot. Stir well to combine rice with vegetables and parsly. Add vegetable stock(yakhni), Italian seasoning (msala)and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add halved potatoes on top and coat with the stock to allow them to soak in the wonderful flavour.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover. Wrap the inside of the pot lid with a clean dish towel. This helps to absorb the steam inside the pot, otherwise your rice will be mushy. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until rice cooked and water is all absorbed. Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 10 to 15 minutes. The rice and potato is still cooking by the residual heat.
- Gently fluff the rice and add chopped parsley on top.