Soup made with ground beef, sausage, spinach, and three different varieties of cheese! The ideal quick dinner for those chilly winter evenings!
One of my all-time favorite soups is Lasagna Soup! You get all of the flavors of a meaty lasagna in the shape of a warming soup! It’s piled high with beef, tomatoes, and Italian herbs, and the melty cheese tops it all off.
You get a herbed tomato-based broth with robust chunks of ground beef and a large pile of cheese that melts wonderfully into the steaming hot soup.
This simple dish may appear intimidating due to the extensive list of ingredients, but many of them are pantry staples you most likely already have, so don’t pass it up because it seems too complicated.
It’s actually rather simple to prepare and ideal for weeknight meals. Try it soon; it’ll quickly become a favorite on chilly nights.
Ingredients Needed for Lasagna Soup
- Olive oil
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste
- Dried herbs – basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper
- Cheeses – mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta
- Dried lasagna noodles (campanelle or bow-ties works great too)
- Fresh parsley
How to Make Lasagna Soup
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat one tablespoon olive oil.
When the pot is hot, crumble the meat into it, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing regularly, until it is browned.
Remove the fat from the steak and set it aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the chopped yellow onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
Sauté for another 30 seconds after adding the garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and herbs.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat, cover, and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Mix mozzarella, parmesan, and ricotta together in a mixing basin with a fork.
- Add cooked pasta to the soup and, if desired, thin with a bit more broth. See the notes below the next photo for further information.
Toss the cheeses together, then top the soup with dollops of cheese.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground(meat qeema roll slice)
- ½ lb Lean ground beef(beef qeema)
- 1Onion, diced
- 6 Cloves garlic, minced, about 1 1/2 tbsp
- 1 (28 oz) can Crushed tomatoes
- 8 Lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 (14 oz) can Tomato sauce
- 4 cups Chicken broth(yakhni)
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds(sonf)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning(msala)
- 1 (6 oz) can Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley(herb or dhnia)), optional
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef, sausage and onions and cook until meat is browned, about 8 minutes. Halfway through cooking the meat add the garlic.
- Once the meat is cooked through, pour in the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth(yakhni), Italian seasoning(msala), salt, pepper and fennel(sonf) and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the lasagna noodles in a separate pot according to package directions and drain.
- Add the cooked lasagna noodles to the pot and stir to combine. Top with the Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, and some fresh parsley. Enjoy!
This soup is easily adaptable for dairy or gluten allergies. The soup itself is dairy-free, simply top with a non-dairy cheese substitute before eating. Sub gluten-free noodles for a tasty wheat-free soup.