This Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup are quick and easy to cook on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot, full of protein and vegetables, naturally gluten-free, and so comforting and delicious.
When I was sick a few weeks back, I had a strong need for both chicken soup and my all-time favorite egg drop soup. As a result, I decided to go old school and make a soup that blends the best of both cultures Chicken and sweet corn soup.
For those who are unfamiliar, chicken and sweet corn soup is essentially egg drop soup with added chicken, corn, and vegetables. This simple soup is really flavorful and wonderful when made using my favorite broth, which is delicately seasoned with ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. And what about when it’s thickened with those lovely egg ribbons and laden with traditional chicken soup ingredients? This soup, I’m persuaded, is about as comfortable as it gets.
So grab your soup pot (or Instant Pot) and let’s prepare a quick batch together if you’re looking for a new chicken soup this season, or if you’re feeling under the weather and need some warm and comforting comfort food. I believe you will enjoy it.
There are all sorts of ways that you may customize this soup! For example, feel free to:
- Add extra veggies: This soup would be wonderful with anything from shredded cabbage to peas to chopped stir-fry veggies (such bell pepper, asparagus, green beans, and so on).
- Make it vegetarian: If you don’t like chicken, leave it out entirely and replace it with vegetable stock (not chicken stock) to make this soup completely vegetarian.
- Make it spicy: If you want to kick up the flavor of this soup, add some sriracha or Thai bird chiles.
- 1L (4 cups) chicken consomme(chicken yakhni)
- 200g chicken breast
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- (1/4 cup) water
- 1 x 420g can creamed corn
- 1 x 300g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 100g cook meat slices , thinly sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp sesame oil(till oil)
- 6 green shallots(onion type), ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the consomme(chicken yakhni) and chicken in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Finely shred.
- Add the soy sauce and ginger to the consomme (yakhni) mixture. Place the cornflour in a small bowl and gradually stir in the water until smooth and combined. Gradually stir the cornflour mixture into the consomme mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until consomme(yakhni) thickens slightly. Add the chicken, creamed corn, corn and meat slice and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Use a fork to whisk the egg whites in a small bowl. Gradually pour the egg whites into the soup, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until white ribbons swirl though the soup. Remove from heat.
- Add the sesame oil(till oil) and half the green shallot (onion type)and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup among serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining green shallot. Serve immediately.