Carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese are packed into this healthy broccoli cheddar soup. This luscious, creamy soup is far superior.
Soup is a must-have winter dinner, and when it comes to deciding which is our favourite, this cheddar broccoli soup takes the cake. It’s a kid’s favourite because of its creamy texture and cheesy flavour, and it’s a parent’s favourite since it’s packed with healthy vegetables.
You’ll love this soup if you’ve ever tasted Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup. It’s almost a carbon replica, but with a lot more flavour and texture.
The soup starts with a base of practically caramelised onion and garlic, thickened with a roux (butter and flour mixture), and then cooked with veggie stock, broccoli, and carrots. Half-and-half and freshly grated cheddar cheese are added at the very end to give it a velvety smooth texture.
The result is a rich, thick, and creamy broccoli soup bursting with the soothing tastes of broccoli and cheddar cheese.
CAN YOU FREEZE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP?
- To refrigerate:Refrigerate any leftover soup in sealed containers for up to 3-4 days. Reheat over medium-low heat on the stovetop.
- To freeze: Freeze flat in freezer-safe zip bags or in freezer-safe containers. Thaw well before reheating on low heat to avoid curdling.
HOW TO SERVE BROCOLLI CHEDDAR SOUP
This delightful soup is full of vegetables and texture, and it can be eaten on its own to form a satisfying dinner. It can also be served in a bread bowl (a la Panera), with crusty bread for dipping, or with croutons on top! If you’re a meat eater, add chopped grilled or shredded chicken on top or mix it in.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 tsp freshly black pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb. broccoli
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour(meda)
- 2 cups chicken broth(yakhni)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika(To spice up a basic dressing)
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar, shredde
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper(hot red chili)
- Dice the onion. Chop the broccoli into very small pieces. Peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the butter and onion to a large soup pot and sauté over medium until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the flour(meda) and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes more, or until the flour is coating the bottom of the pot and is a light golden brown color.
- Now,Add the chicken broth(yakhni) and whisk to dissolve all the flour off the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat up to medium-high and, while stirring often, allow the broth to come up to a simmer. When it reaches a simmer it will thicken to a gravy consistency.
- Turn the heat back down to medium and whisk in the milk, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper(hot red chili). Allow the broth to come back up to a simmer.
- Add the chopped broccoli and carrots, allow the broth to come back up to a simmer, and continue to simmer the vegetables, stirring often, for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Finally, turn the heat down to medium-low and stir the shredded cheese into the soup, one handful at a time, until it is fully melted. Taste the soup and add salt if needed .