- 4 ¾ cups bread flour
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp margarine, softened
- 1 ½ cups sourdough starter
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add milk and softened butter or margarine. Stir in starter. Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually, you may need more depending on your climate.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place on a greased baking pan. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Brush egg wash over tops of loaves, and sprinkle with chopped onion.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or till done.
- serve with butter myonize or your choice.