What breakfast dish looks opulent yet requires almost no work to prepare? This slow-cooker frittata, to be exact. Simply combine all of the ingredients in your Crock-Pot and set it aside until it’s ready. This is how all mornings should be (and delicious).
Frittata is an Italian egg-based dish that is similar to an omelet, crustless quiche, or scrambled eggs, but with the addition of meats, cheeses, or vegetables.
The ideal frittata is creamy, custardy, and loaded with vegetables. It isn’t dry, spongey, or tasteless in any way.
Frittatas are a great way to use up leftovers from the fridge on a weekday or for a weekend breakfast. Frittatas are very easy to travel, so you may take them on picnics or pack them for work lunches.
Use a piece as a sandwich stuffing or break it up for easy morning tacos if you have extra frittata.
Frittatas may appear intimidating at first, but if you know what you’re doing, they’re a breeze to cook. So, today, I’m going to give you a step-by-step approach to preparing the ideal frittata every time.
Traditional frittatas have previously disappointed me, so I went back to the basics. I compared the frittata standards from America’s Test Kitchen to those from Bon Appetit and Epicurious and came up with my own go-to ways.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium Gold potato, peeled and sliced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika(beel pepper powder)
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme(jungli podina or herb,mint family)
- 1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled, divided
- Layer two 24-in. pieces of aluminum foil; starting with a long side, fold up foil to create a 1-in.-wide strip. Shape strip into a coil to make a rack for bottom of a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Add water to slow cooker; set foil rack in water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and onion; cook and stir until potato is lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in paprika(bell pepper powder). Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish (dish must fit in slow cooker).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, thyme(mint family herb), pepper sauce, salt and pepper; stir in 2 ounces cheese. Pour over potato mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining goat cheese. Place dish on foil rack.
- Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 3-4 hours.