This delectable Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken and vegetables goes well with couscous and pita bread.
All of your food groups are covered with crusty bread, pasta, couscous or rice, and extra salad/vegetables.
If you’re following a low-carb diet, this dish is also delicious with extra vegetables or cauliflower rice.
- 1 tsp ground turmeric(haldi)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin(zeera)
- 1 tsp ground ginger(adrk)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (red colourful chili)
- 1 tsp ground coriander(dhnia powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas(white chane), drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 marinated artichoke hearts(a perennial vegetable whose immature edible flower head is formed of a fleshy heart), drained
- 4 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 (3 inch) piece cinnamon stick(darchini)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or more as needed
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pound green beans(phlia)
- 1 red bell pepper(red shimla mrch), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro(dhnia or herb)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups couscous( A spicy dish that originated in northern Africa; consists of pasta steamed with a meat and vegetable stew)
- Combine turmeric(hldi), ginger, coriander(dhnia), salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper in a small cup. Rub mixture over chicken and let sit at least 30 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas(white chne), diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, carrots, garlic, and cinnamon stick in the bottom of a 6- to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker, bone-side-up. Add onion to the same skillet. Saute over medium-high heat until onions have taken on a yellow color from turmeric and are starting to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for approximately 2 hours.
- Place green beans(phlia) and bell pepper (shimla mrch red) over chicken. Cover and cook approximately 3 hours more.
- Meanwhile, boil 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Add couscous and stir. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let sit until water is absorbed and couscous is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place hot couscous on each plate and top with chicken and vegetables. Spoon juices from the slow cooker over each serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
calories 465 ;