Ingredients For Three-Cheese Souffle
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg(jaifel)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Comte or gruyere cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Emmentaler or appenzeller cheese
- 4 large eggs, separated, plus 2 egg whites
- 3/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Sliced baguette(bread type), for serving
- Apple butter, for serving (optional)
Directions For Three-Cheese Souffle
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the centre. Up to the top edge of a 2-quart souffle dish, butter the bottom and sides. 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and cornmeal are sprinkled on top. Place the souffle in the freezer while you prepare it.
- To make the roux, follow these steps: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter and add the garlic. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, and 2 teaspoons salt, and cook, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes, or until the flour is cooked but not browned. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is as thick as pudding. Remove from the heat once the comte, emmentaler, and 3/4 cup parmesan have melted.
- One at a time, whisk in the four egg yolks. Stir the ingredients in a large mixing bowl to cool somewhat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 6 egg whites and lemon juice until soft peaks form. Fold a quarter of the whites into the cheese base before folding in the rest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared souffle dish on a baking sheet and smooth the top. To form a ridge, run your finger over the inside lip of the dish to push the batter away from the edge. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit after transferring to the oven.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden and puffy about 2 inches above the dish’s lip. If preferred, serve with baguette slices and pate, as well as apple butter.