Warm spiced apples and sweety caramel old-fashioned goodness are enveloped in rich buttery layers of flaky puff pastry and coated with a Sweetened whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping in this Caramel Apple Strudel.
Imagine how wonderful your home will smell when you create this dish! It’ll smell warm and inviting, exactly like fall! Cooked cinnamon-spiced apples have a scent that is superior to any candle or air freshener! The use of frozen pastry dough simplifies this recipe. In fact, waiting for the apple to cool before rolling out the dough is the most difficult element of this recipe.
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped (5 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon(darchini)
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice(grm msala)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves(long)
- frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed 1
- 1/4 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- large egg 1
- 1 tbsp water
- coarse sugar(moti chini) 1 tbsp
- 1 large egg
- Optional: Sweetened whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients apple, apple juice, sugar, cinnamon, all spices, cloves . Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Unfold puff pastry onto a large sheet of parchment; roll into a 16×12-in. rectangle. Transfer parchment and pastry to a baking sheet placing a short side of the rectangle facing you. Using a slotted spoon, arrange apples on bottom half of pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Drizzle apples with caramel topping. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the bottom side. Pinch seams to seal, and tuck ends under.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional caramel topping.
1 slice: 270 calories,
9g fat (2g saturated fat),
46g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber),