Whether you have dietary restrictions or prefer a gluten-free option, this rich and luscious figgy pudding will delight your taste buds and impress your guests. In this article, we’ll share our step-by-step guide to creating a traditional gluten-free Christmas pudding that will surely outrank other recipes on Google.
What is a Christmas Pudding?
A Christmas pudding, also known as plum pudding or figgy pudding, is a traditional British dessert that holds a special place in holiday celebrations. Typically served on Christmas Day, this rich and moist pudding is made with a blend of dried fruits, spices, suet, and breadcrumbs, which adds a unique texture and flavor to the dish.
Our gluten-free Christmas pudding recipe is thoughtfully crafted to cater to those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. We’ve carefully selected gluten-free ingredients without compromising taste or texture, ensuring everyone can indulge in the holiday spirit without any worries.
Gluten-Free Christmas Pudding Ingredients
To make our delicious gluten-free Christmas pudding, gather the following ingredients:
- 200g dried figs
- 200g dried apricots
- 150g raisins
- 150g sultanas
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g chopped dates
- 100g gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter (or dairy-free alternative)
- 3 large eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- A pinch of salt
- 150ml brandy (or orange juice for a non-alcoholic version)
Gluten-Free Christmas Pudding Method Step-by-Step
Step 1. Prepare the Fruits
Finely chop the dried figs, apricots, and dates.
Combine the chopped fruits with the raisins, sultanas, cranberries, and ground almonds in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2. Create the Pudding Batter
- In a separate bowl, cream the unsalted butter and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and add the orange and lemon zest and juice, mixing well.
- Gradually add the gluten-free flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, and a pinch of salt, ensuring everything is thoroughly combined.
Step 3. Combine the Ingredients
- Pour the buttery batter over the bowl of mixed fruits and stir until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Add the gluten-free breadcrumbs, gently folding them into the mixture to achieve a consistent texture.
Step 4. Steam the Pudding
- Grease a 2-pint pudding basin generously with butter or a dairy-free alternative.
- Pour the prepared pudding mixture into the basin, ensuring there’s enough room for expansion.
- Cover the basin with a double layer of parchment paper and aluminum foil, securing it tightly with a string.
- Create a makeshift handle by tying another piece of string across the top of the basin to lift it easily.
Step 5. Cooking the Pudding
- Place a heatproof saucer or trivet at the bottom of a large saucepan and position the pudding basin on top.
- Carefully pour boiling water into the saucepan until it reaches halfway up the basin.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and steam the pudding on low heat for approximately 6 hours, adding more water if necessary.
Step 6. Serving the Pudding
- Once cooked, remove the basin from the saucepan and allow it to cool slightly before removing the parchment and foil.
- Gently invert the pudding onto a serving plate.
- Warm the brandy in a small saucepan, then carefully ignite it and pour it over the pudding for a dramatic flambé (optional).
- Serve the gluten-free Christmas pudding with your favorite sauce or a dollop of freshly whipped cream.